This blog is about my life and my struggles with infertility and recurrent miscarriage. If you dont want to hear me whine about my struggles then you probably shouldnt read it

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

And the results are in....

My baby (the most recent loss) was a girl, and she had Turner's Syndrome 45X. Same diagnosis as my second baby.

TS is supposedly a somewhat rare genetic disorder, although as most babies with TS are lost in the first trimester it is thought it may be more common since many first trimester miscarriages do not undergo genetic testing. But it is cause for concern for my OB and RE that I had 2 babies with this genetic disorder. The statistics say it happens in 1 in 2500 pregnancies. Oh how could I be so lucky to have it happen twice?

I don't know how I feel about these results. I knew it would be something genetic. I am blown away that it is the same damn thing that killed my baby girl last March, but I am also sad because it still leaves us with no answers. As much as I hate to think something is wrong with me that is causing this, having a diagnosis that can be treated is a lot easier than just "bad luck"

I don't know where we will go from here. I have to make an appt with my RE and discuss our options now that I have the test results back. Likely he will recommend IVF with PGD (preimplantation genetic diagnosis) which of course comes with a HUGE price tag. But I feel that it is really the only way to make sure this doesnt happen again.

All my life I have always wanted a baby girl. What woman doesn't? But it is extremely hard knowing that I for sure could have had 2 but lost them. I am wondering if there is some truth to the theory that some people just can't have one sex or the other as far as babies go? Of course I would be happy to have any baby, but I have a feeling I may end up with only my baby girls in heaven. But I will take some baby boys on earth!

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss and for the diagnosis. At least you have some answers to guide you on your journey forward. I have a friend going through something similar, she can only conceive with the help of PGD and IVF since her husband carries a translocated chromosome. I wish you all the best and hope you are able to find a plan that will help with the financing. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm I wonder if my DH has that? When I go to the RE this month I will know the results of DHs karotyping. I have had one and mine was normal. I dont know if I should hope he does so he will understand that IVF with PGD is our only way or hope he doesnt because he has already told me he will take it really hard if all this is his "fault"

    ReplyDelete